Publications about LIMS
The original (pre 4.0) LIMS package was described in the following paper
- M. Bruschke, S.G.Advani, “Finite Element/Control Volume Approach to Mold Filling in Anisotropic Porous Media,” Polymer. Composites 11, pp. 398-405, (1990).
The releases 4.0 and later are completely re-written code, though some of the algorithms remain.
There are two papers that describe the current simulation package LIMS and its capabilities and applications within the framework of LCM simulation. If you use LIMS (whatever version of) for research, please quote the first paper in your publications as a reference for LIMS.
- P. Simacek, S.G. Advani, “Desirable Features in Mold Filling Simulations for Liquid Composite Molding Processes,” Polymer Composites, v 25, n 4, 2004
- P. Simacek, S.G. Advani, C. Binetruy, “Liquid Injection Molding Simulation (LIMS) A Comprehensive Tool to Design, Optimize and Control the Filling Process in Liquid Composite Molding,” JEC – Composites, n 8, 2004
Short overview of LIMS is available from Center for Composite Materials as a Techbrief, either printed or as a PDF file.
LIMS and LCM modeling in general is also described and used as a simulation tool in the books.
- Flow Phenomena in Polymer Composites, edited by S. G. Advani, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1993
- Resin Transfer Molding for Aerospace Applications, edited by T. Kruckenberg, Chapman & Hall, 1999
- Process Modeling in Composites Manufacturing” by Advani and Sozer, CRC Press, 2010.
Research Publications Using LIMS
Over the years LIMS has been used in a number of research projects. Many of them illustrate either applications of process simulation or ability to expand the basic package using scripting. Thus, you may want to check some of them if the topic seems to bear some relation to your topic of interest
The following are limited to the refereed journal publications. If you work for research institution or university, you probably have some way to access these, unlike various conference proceedings. And yes, you can use LIMS to model compression RTM and thermosetting pultrusion.
- S. Bickerton, P. Simacek, S. Guglielmi, S. G. Advani, “Investigation of Draping and Its Effects on the Mold Filling Process During Manufacturing of a Compound Curved Composite Part,” Composites – Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, v 28, n 9-10, 1997
- M. Indermaur, P.Simacek, S.G. Advani, “The Influence of Draping on the Filling of Doubly Curved Molds in the Resin Transfer Molding Process,” International Journal of Forming Processes, v 2, n 3-4, 1999
- S. Bickerton, E.M. Sozer, P.Simacek and S.G. Advani, “Fabric Structure and Mold Curvature Effects on Preform Permeability and Mold Filling in the RTM Process. Part II. Predictions and Comparisons with Experiments,” Composites-Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, v 31, n 5, 2000
- P.Simacek, S.G. Advani, “A Numerical Model to Predict Fiber Tow Saturation During Liquid Composite Molding,” Composites Science and Technology, v 63, n 12, 2003
- D. Modi, P. Simacek, S.G., Advani, “Influence of injection gate definition on the flow-front approximation in numerical simulations of mold-filling processes,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, v 42, n 11, 2003
- N.C. Correia, F. Robitaille, A.C. Long, C.D. Rudd, P. Simacek, S.G. Advani, “Use of Resin Transfer Molding Simulation to Predict Flow, Saturation and Compaction in the Vartm Process,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, v 126, n 2, 2004
- P. Simacek, S.G. Advani, “Gate Elements at Injection Locations in Numerical Simulations of Flow through Porous Media: Applications to Mold Filling,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, v 61, n 9, 2004
- D. Heider, P. Simacek, A. Dominauskas, H. Deffor, S.G. Advani, J.W. Gillespie Jr., “Infusion design methodology for thick-section, low-permeability preforms using inter-laminar flow media,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, v 38, n 2, 2007
- P. Simacek, S.G. Advani, “Role of acceleration forces in numerical simulation of mold filling processes in fibrous porous media,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, v 37, n 11, 2006
- P. Simacek, P., S.G. Advani, “Modeling resin flow and fiber tow saturation induced by distribution media collapse in VARM,” Composites Science and Technology, v 67, n 13, p 2757-2769, October 2007
- Simacek, Pavel, Advani, Suresh G.; Iobst, Stanley A., “Modeling flow in compression resin transfer molding for manufacturing of complex lightweight high-performance automotive parts,” Journal of Composite Materials, v 42, n 23, p 2523-2545, December 2008
- Bhat, Prabhas, Merotte, Justin; Simacek, Pavel; Advani, Suresh G., “Process analysis of compression resin transfer molding,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, v 40, n 4, p 431-441, April 2009
- Okonkwo, K., Simacek, P., Advani, S.G., Parnas, R.S., “Characterization of 3D fiber preform permeability tensor in radial flow using an inverse algorithm based on sensors and simulation,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, v 42, n 10, p 1283-92, Oct. 2011
- Walther, J., Simacek, P., Advani, S.G., “The effect of fabric and fiber tow shear on dual scale flow and fiber bundle saturation during liquid molding of textile composites,” International Journal of Material Forming, v 5, n 1, p 83-97, March 2012
- Wang, J., Andres, E., Simacek, P., Advani, S.G., “Use of flow simulation to develop robust injection and vent schemes that account for process and material variability in Liquid Composite Molding process,” CMES – Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences, v 88, n 3, p 155-181, 2012
- Gascons, Marc, Blanco, Norbert; Simacek, Pavel; Peiro, Joaquim; Advani, Suresh; Matthys, Koen, “Impact of the fibre bed on resin viscosity in liquid composite moulding simulations,” Applied Composite Materials, v 19, n 3-4, p 669-688, June 2012
- Simacek, P., Advani, S.G., “Simulating tape resin infiltration during thermoset pultrusion process,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, v 72, p 115-126, May 2015
- Sas, H.S., Šimáček, P., Advani, S.G., “A methodology to reduce variability during vacuum infusion with optimized design of distribution media,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 78, p 223-233, 2015
- Simacek, P., Advani, S.G., “"Equivalent" permeability and flow in compliant porous media,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, v 80, p 107-110, January 1, 2016
- Wang, J.; Simacek, P.; Yarlagadda, S.; Advani, S.G., “Integration of composite part design and processing simulation in liquid composite molding (LCM),” SAMPE Journal, v 53, n 3, p 37-43, May-June 2017
- Yun, Minyoung; Carella, Tess; Simacek, Pavel; Advani, Suresh, “Stochastic modeling of through the thickness permeability variation in a fabric and its effect on void formation during Vacuum Assisted Resin Transfer Molding,” Composites Science and Technology, v 149, p 100-107, September 8, 2017
- Martin, Ffion A.; Warrior, Nicholas A.; Simacek, Pavel; Advani, Suresh; Hughes, Adrian; Darlington, Roger; Senan, Eissa, “Simulation and Validation of Injection-Compression Filling Stage of Liquid Moulding with Fast Curing Resins,” Applied Composite Materials, p 1-23, March 23, 2018
- Wang, J.; Simacek, P.; Gupta, N.; Advani, S.G., “Multidisciplinary tool for composite wind blade design & analysis,” Composites Part B: Engineering, v 140, p 91-98, May 1, 2018
- Simacek, Pavel; Advani, Suresh G., “Resin flow modeling in compliant porous media: an efficient approach for liquid composite molding,” International Journal of Material Forming, v 11, n 4, p 503-515, July 1, 2018
- Silvio Facciotto, Pavel Simacek, Suresh G. Advani, Peter Middendorf, ”Modeling of anisotropic dual scale flow in RTM using the finite elements method,” Composites Part B: Engineering, Volume 214, 2021